Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    What do you do? First with hitch-hikers, do you normally pick them up or at least most of the time? I picked up my first one today, I don't usually see too many or either too "busy" to when I do. He was a older guy, had to be clicking 70, was trying to make it to Lebanon first or find a church or shelter that gave him a place to stay for the night before them. Picked him up right in town after leaving Big Boys pizza, I had the gas, so I Iwent ahead and took him on to St. Paul. Said he hadn't slept in days, just been walking and hadn't ate much, offered him some pizza but he said he didn't really like it and had diabetes and everything...so he had to watch what he ate in the first place. I was going to give him some money, but forgot when I was letting him out because it was on the side of the fourlane and I was paying too much attention to traffic. I feel terrible now, really do, I could have did a lot more and given a lot more than a ride. Been thinking about it since then, wondering if he got somewhere in this cold and got something to eat.

    Just wondering what everyone does? Like I said, that was my first one I picked up, now I think I'll be doing it everytime when I have the chance. I know it's dangerous and all, but this man wasn't, never asked for any money or anything...he actually dozed off most of the ride. Makes you feel real lucky.


    What about the homeless ones with the signs? I know some it's just an act or they use the money for something else, but I can't sleep well passing up someone like that without giving something. I'd much rather get ripped off 10 times rather than missing a chance to help someone when I can, that really needs it. Takers may eat better, but givers always sleep better.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    Most of the ones with the signs are professional panhandlers and work in teams. Hitch-hikers are a case by case thing. I don't usually pick them up, but I have. You have a good heart, but be careful.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2003
    Posts
    1,264
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    I don't pick up hitch-hikers ... male or female I just don't feel that's a smart, safe measure to do.

    Homeless - generally if I have cash on me (which rarely I do b/c we just use our debit card) I'll give them a few bucks

  4. #4
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    I saw a guy with a sign one time that said "I'm not going to lie to you, I just want a beer." Wonder how well he did?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    I'm always hesitant to pick up hitch hikers, although I often feel a twinge of guilt when I pass them by. It's largely a safety concern. I travel alone usually, and because of my work schedule it's not always guaranteed that anyone knows where I'm at (so how would they know if I go missing).

    I've given one ride to a stranger before, but I was in my comfort zone in BSG.

    I have seen travelers with dogs before, and I've given them food for the dogs (something I often have in the car).
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ndn_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2006
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    Living in a city broke me of feeling compelled to give to the homeless, for better or for worse. After a few months in a major metropolitan area, I became desensitized and jaded, especially since many of those I did give to in my first few weeks there were supremely ungrateful, following me and/or screaming at me asking for more.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    Quote Originally Posted by red66 View Post
    I saw a guy with a sign one time that said "I'm not going to lie to you, I just want a beer." Wonder how well he did?
    I would have gave him some money haha....
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hitch-hikers and the homeless...

    I would have bought him a beer for that one. I don't give money. I will buy them something If I think they need it. If IM in a truck I will offer hitchhikers a ride in the back. If I see a family broke down I will stop and help. I usually try to help anybody that's broke down even tho it has been used to rob people.
    GO VOLS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •